Friday, July 1, 2011

Compromiso

"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun..." Psalm 37:5


Recently I've recommitted to what I believe my purpose is and own up to the excuses of what I "don't have" to do it. I remember my mom telling me one day "you will have no excuse" because God has already given us everything we need.  I was at the kitchen sink, washing out a pot when I happened to look up and see the S.O.S. Brillo pad box. There was a text box that stated "Environmental Commitment". Below that box was another text box with the Spanish translation of the above. The first word read "Compromiso". Whether you are able to read and understand the Spanish language or not, it is obvious that compromiso reads like compromise. I thought it strange that our English word commitment would be translated into it's equivalent in Spanish with what reads like compromise. You know how we use words but when we're asked the actual meaning, it's difficult to explain. The same goes for compromise. It has, in a sense, a negative connotation or sounds like you are giving up what's important to you for the sake of someone or something else.  As if you are losing out.  So I looked up the actual meaning of compromise and this is what I found:


1. Agreement reached by mutual concessions

2.Compromise - an accommodation in which both sides make concessions

3.  To make vulnerable


Many times when we settle down enough to hear God's voice to find out how we can be used, we forgo the step of giving anything up or making "concessions" [yielding].  When we "commit" to God's purpose and will, we essentially "compromise", by making ourselves vulnerable [surrendering and giving over possession of our will for His].  God is saying "I am holding up my end of the bargain by providing provision", now what are you bringing to the table?  What are you investing?  When you commit to marriage, both individuals vow to bring something to the table in the deal.  In every covenant made in the Bible, there was an exchange or a sacrifice to represent the commitment.  To have faith, is to believe that your sacrifice in the spirit of your commitment to purpose is not in vain.  God won't renege on his end of the bargain, but we do.


I have to admit, I have a couple of trash shows I enjoy watching that come on in the evenings.  But I know that the evening time is the best time for me to be intimate with God (not a morning person).  I know the call that's on my life and I also know that the more time I spend in God's presence, the easier it will be for me to make steps towards completing my assignment with as little missteps as possible.  I have to wrestle with myself though and make a sacrifice of my time so I can be successful.  One thing I am selfish about is my time.  That's the biggest sacrifice I have to make.  What sacrifice have you been protecting because you aren't ready to let go?  If you haven't given something up, you aren't committing wholly.  That will be the key to cure complacency. 


The mark of a true sacrifice can be measured by the story of Abrahan and Isaac.  Imagine your commitment involving your first born that you waited for painfully.  I encourage you to read Genesis 22 to throw a log in your fire for God.


Definitions from: http://www.thefreedictionary.com

No comments: